Tour Essentials with David Scuba
Raised on a diet of underground house music in the legendary confines of New York’s Twilo during the late 1990s, David Scuba is now coming into his own. At the same time as holding down an arduous day job, he has been an influential A&R for labels like Timeless Groove and Real Music Deal overseeing releases from numerous international names in the past. Now, though, his closest ties lie with the legendary Mr.C and the Superfreq label they run together.
As well as producing his own solo tracks and remixes for the label including Superfreq biggest selling track, David’s remix of Mr.C’s “I’m Gonna Give You Some” which have gone on to be supported by Blondish, Adultnapper and MR C himself at parties across the globe including Sunday School for Degenerates at WMC – he has also released on Riff Raff alongside Mikael Stravöstand, much to the delight of fans including Magda, and has teamed up with Dance Spirit to great effect on their joint Superfreq EP “The Wi_th” earlier this year. David’s excellent remix of Detroit Grand Pubahs “Acid Dreams has just been released on AA Trax & he has remixes of Afro Acid’s Time & Space & Tini Tun & Hugo Ibarra’s “Lovely Girl” due for release in January, as well as remixes for NOSI & also Sagol due in February & March.
David is also the co-owner of Superfreq with Mr.C, where he holds down resident DJ duties on a regular basis. As a DJ his talents spread much further, though, taking in events across the globe (from WMC to DEMF, Resolute New York to Superfreq & Shake It in London) playing alongside the likes of Carl Cox, Nic Fanciulli and Layo & Bushwacka!
On top of this, David is responsible for promotion, staffing and scouting new locations for Superfreq LA events. One of his crowning glories to date includes arranging an un-announced gig with old friend Loco Dice who invited Marco Carola to play a very intimate 300 capacity show back in 2011.
So the future is bright for this ever rising star, with more productions coming on the rejuvenated Superfreq imprint – check out David`s latest release: David Scuba & Finley – LeNinj EP.
As David has a DJ tour with many destinations in the pipeline – we have talked with him about his favorite things when touring.
In order of importance:
- Unisom: sleep aid is critically important since you never know when you’ll be able to get rest upon arriving at the show, or what time zone your landing in so getting some extra zzzz’s whenever you can is a must. Always love passing out and snoring so loud that everyone just gives you nasty glares when you wake up feeling like a million bucks.
- Ear buds: well, it’s never fun sleeping next to a crying baby or loud old man so I tune them out with some jazz, or other chill tunes and continue on my quest for rest…
- Night mask: unfortunately you become a creature of the night at the end of the week so being able to make the world night no matter what time of day will help keep your sanity. Nothing worse than playing a show extra jet lagged and sleep deprived… Or trying to get rest and everyone on the plane has the window shades up….
- Fresh Underwear: speaking from experience nothing beats a fresh pair undies after flying for 20hours… Since they haven’t inventing cooling seats on the plane I think at the end of the day you and your boys will thank you …
- Hubba Bubba: I’m a kid at heart so blowing giant bubbles and making sure you don’t have Kong Fu breath might help you keep a conversation with your neighbor for more than 2 seconds.