Featured Artist: Egbert
Egbert, a dutch techno star whose tracks and collaborations have infected dance floors consistently over the past decade, has a major gig coming up at the Dockyard Festival at ADE in October (see www.dockyardfestival.com), sat down with us to talk about some recent travels, his inspirations, and of course, tracks…
After having played at Trade in Miami recently and on other occasions in the past, what is it about that specific club that brings you back? What are your some of your other favorite venues?
- Played some amazing shows together with Paco Osuna’s Mindshake night’s. Last year I was really surprised that it was busier at the Mindshake party than the EDM party’s happening right next to it. Miami is moving forward :):).
- Favorite venue is difficult to tell, since every venue has it’s own unique vibe to it. Magdalena in Berlin is my last hidden treasure I found, what an incredible sound system there. ERA in Cape Town is very good as well, incredible sound and vibe. WOMB in Japan, amazing energy. But actually you don’t need many people to have an incredible party. The most important is to have a good sound system and the right people.
Your track, “Maximaal”, made in collaboration with Secret Cinema, has been getting a lot of airplay, very recently it was featured on Drumcode Live from Adam Beyer’s set at Amnesia. How does it feel to know that a track gets that type of recognition across other labels and artists?
- It gives me a really great feeling, and it gives a lot of energy to make new tunes for the Drumcode label. When a track hits the charts like this, the crowd reaction is amazing..
Your ties with Secret Cinema run deep, what’s the process like collaborating with another Dutch techno star and who were your early inspirations?
- My first introduction to techno was a compilation by Mauro Picotto. But Secret Cinema was also an early inspiration. I had been making music for more than 10 years when I met Secret Cinema. I met a lot of guys before, but didn’t want to go into the music industry without finding the right people. Then I met Jeroen Verheij (Aka Secret Cinema) and the people from Gem Records, and I felt it was right. These are the people with their heart in the right place. Really fortunate to work with Secret and GEM.
What projects do you have planned for the remainder of 2016? Any releases we should keep our ears out for?
- 19th of Sept a new track with Secret Cinema is coming out on Gem Records called “Elementen” and 3rd of October a new Egbert EP is coming on Mindshake Records with tracks called : “Wild” “Controle” and “Elektriciteit”
With Ibiza and festival season wrapping up over the next several weeks, where should eager listeners make plans to see you?;
- Next 2 months I’ll play in Colombia, Spain, UK, France, Luxembourg, Germany and of course in Holland. You can check my tour dates on www.EgbertLIVE.nl